Saturday, July 21, 2012

Long Break

We took a ridiculously long break.  We spent a week in IL with Hammie and Buppa, and then when we got home, we spent a week trying to get the Little Prince back into his usual headspace... then went to Day Out With Thomas.  It's been an interesting couple weeks.

Today, we started back up with reading.  We got up, got dressed, got breakfast, got vitamins, and I turned on his Hooked on Phonics DVD.  This prompted an immediate meltdown of epic proportions (like, shrieking and screaming and crying along with flailing and throwing things) because I wasn't turning on Franklin or Curious George.  Needless to say, that's put a kibosh on his watching television for a while.  Yikes.  Anyhow.  He finally settled in, and watched his lesson... and then asked to watch another.  And another.  And an hour later, he'd gone through a full unit worth.  So I called it there, as that was the last unit in level 1 of Hooked on Phonics.  We read the review page for the unit, and while he's having some trouble with the sight words and the BigWords (like kitten, happen, traffic, and muffin), he has it all.  I shake my head, as he went through lessons 8 and 9 (unit 2) and then the unit 3 introduction, and lessons 10-15.  In a set-up where the two levels take approximately the 36 weeks that are in a school year, this amount of work would take 9 weeks.  I was planning for it to take 6 weeks.  He finished it in AN HOUR. I called off math for the day, as I can really only take one shock per day.  Maybe we'll do our history read-aloud, maybe we'll put it off until tomorrow, I don't know, but right now, I'm very much shaken... and very glad I picked up level 2 a month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment