Friday, October 26, 2012

Change.

My brother is getting married this weekend.

It's not entirely a perfect scenario. In a perfect scenario, all our loved ones would be able to attend, I would be able to attend, and there would be no stress or worry or rush.  But, life is seldom perfect, is it?

Aside from the nuances of life that pop up to impact us all, though, I find this to be wonderful news.  I've never made a secret of the fact that I am fiercely protective of my family, though I have mellowed in my adult years... sort of.  I love my brother.  I've probably hated my brother a few times, but really, that's the hate of children, and it never lasts beyond who had a bigger cookie.  I love my brother, and I make very little secret of the fact that there are things that I want for him, and things I don't.  Some things are good enough for him, some things are not.  He's my brother, and he should only have the best.  That's just the way it should be.  Yeah, then that life thing smacks us around a bit, and I have to remember that shit happens.

Then, he brought home a girl. I was set to be pleasant.  I was ready to smile brightly, and try not to be transparent that she might not be good enough for my brother, after all, it's not my call.  And then I met the girl.  She was a lovely girl - no, really.  Not a lovely girl like 'can't think of anything nice to say,' but she was truly a beautiful girl.  Even more, she was funny.  And my brother adored her.  He lit up around her, and she really got him.  I was thrilled to find that I smiled brightly because I really liked her, and I didn't have to try not to be transparent, because as high as my standards were, this beautiful, bright, funny girl was a wonderful match for my sarcastic, handsome, athletic brother.

And this weekend, they will be married.  I'm sad I couldn't be there for this day, but I write in the hopes that they will see that I am thinking of them, and know that I am there as best I can be.  Tomorrow, I gain the sister I've wanted for so long.  She fits right in with the family, and we all love her.  I couldn't be more thrilled for my brother - he is marrying the woman he loves, who really gets him, who can play his straight man when he needs one, and who can keep up with him.  I am, of course, thrilled for his bride, as well.  She gets my brother.  The one who hung the moon. I can think of nothing that would make me happier for them than this, and I cast my wish out to all who might listen - may they be as happy for the rest of their lives as they are now - or possibly happier, and may all their challenges be faced not side-by-side, but back-to-back.  May they cover each other, be profoundly blessed, and may love brighten every single one of their days.

I love you both, and I wish you nothing less than the lifetime of happiness you both deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment